At the beginning of this year I decided to track how many books/novellas/screenplays I read in a year because I’d never done it before. (Note: I read a bunch of flash and short stories so I didn’t really track those…)
Here’s the list with dates I finished reading it, and my ratings of the stuff I’ve read…
This list is LOOOOONG so I’ll be doing it over several blog posts, btw.
+=This is a book I’ve already read that I was re-reading
*=Hated It (Usually if I hate something I don’t finish it. Life’s too short.)
**=Didn’t Like it (This usually means the book started off well then fell down OR it had some big deal-breaking plot element that ruined all the good things for me.)
***=I Liked It (I enjoyed my reading experience, probably won’t reread, though)
****=I REALLY Like It (Very much enjoyed, will re-read but falls short of inspiring my gasping, fan-girlish glee)
*****=I LOVED IT (This usually means I want to chase people down the street waving the book and screaming, “READ IT!”)
THE LIST PART THREE
46. Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell **** (7/30/13) This book is really good, bit more angsty than Rowell’s other stuff, but I love the hero Park.
47. +Blue Eyed Devil by Lisa Kleypas ***** (8/12/13) Hardy Cates is one of my favorite Romance heroes of all time. Sexy as hell.
48. +Bride of the Rat God by Barbara Hambly ***** (8/13/13)
49. When Food is Love by Geneen Roth *** (8/14/13) There are people who swear by Roth’s books but I dunno, there was too much about her life in this one for me. It was billed to me as self-help but it read more as a memoir. Shrug.
50. Fadeout by Joseph Hansen ***** (8/17/13)
^This is the first book in the David Brandstetter series and I LOVED IT. As you’ll be able to tell from the next few items on the list I went on a binge of this series reading the books one after another after another. I also wrote a short review here. The only trouble is the titles are really hard to keep straight.
51. Taking Him Down by Meg Maguire *** (8/17/13)
52. Death Claims by Joseph Hansen *** (8/18/13)
53. Troublemaker by Joseph Hansen **** (8/19/13)
54. The Man Everybody Was Afraid Of by Joseph Hansen ***** (8/23/13)
55. Skinflick by Joseph Hansen ***** (8/27/13) This one was probably my favorite of the series so far. I loved the love interest.
56. Enchanted by Alethea Kontis **** (8/31/13)
57. Murder on Cue by Jane Dentinger ***** (9/2/13)
^And this starts the next mystery series binge I went on, the Jocelyn O’Roarke series. Also with titles that are really hard to keep track of…I wrote a review of the series here.
58. First Hit of the Season by Jane Dentinger *** (9/2/13)
59. Death Mask by Jane Dentinger **** (9/6/13)
60. Dead Pan by Jane Dentinger **** (9/9/13)
61. +Redshirts by John Scalzi ***** (9/12/13)
62. Siren’s Call by Merline Lovelace ** (9/17/13)
63. +Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey ***** (9/23/13)
^The Dragonriders of Pern series has been one of my favorites since high school when my mom loaned me the books. I was delighted to find they more than held up on a re-read. I highly, highly recommend them.
64. +Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey ***** (9/24/13)
65. +Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey *** (9/26/13)
66. +The White Dragon by Anne McCaffrey ***** (9/30/13)
67. +A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold ***** (10/5/13)
68. So Tough to Tame by Victoria Dahl *** (10/9/13)
^The hero in this is really sweet. He’s a big strong cowboy who blushes!
69. +Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold ***** (10/22/13)
70. Indexing by Seanan McGuire **** (10/27/13)
71. The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch ***** (10/30/13) This was another book I ran around waving in people’s faces screaming “READ IT!”
72. Nine Goblins by T. Kingfisher (aka Ursula Vernon) *** (11/1/13)
73. +Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell **** (11/11/13)
74. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell ** (11/12/13) Not as good as her other books. This one is also heavily set in the fanfic writing community which I’m not involved with at all. Just kind of meh book for me. Probably didn’t help that I had VERY high expectations.
75. +When Love Isn’t Enough by Kathleen Gilles Seidel **** (11/15/13)
76. +Summer’s End by Kathleen Gilles Seidel ***** (11/16/13)
77. Snowbound with the CEO by Shannon Stacey ** (11/20/13)
78. Nothing O’Clock by Neil Gaiman **** (11/20/13)
79. Monsters University script by Daniel Gerson & Robert Baird and Dan Scanlon *** (11/21/13)
80. Before Midnight script by Richard Linklater & Ethan Hawke & Julie Delpy **** (11/21/13)
81. Love a Little Sideways by Shannon Stacey ** (11/27/13)
^I’m a huge fan of Stacey’s early books but lately her stuff just hasn’t been working for me. 😦
82. Red Seas Under Red Skies by Scott Lynch **** (12/13/13)
83. Sweet and Sour by Astrid Amara **** (12/13/13)
^Really great m/m Hanukkah novel. Loved the author’s voice and the hero was adorakable, self aware and behaved like a grown-up. A+ for that alone.
And that’s where I’m at so far. Might have one last post if I finish anymore books before the year’s up. 🙂