At the beginning of this year I decided to track how many books/novellas/screenplays I read in a year because I’d never done it before. (Note: I read a bunch of flash and short stories so I didn’t really track those…)
Here’s the list with dates I finished reading it, and my ratings of the stuff I’ve read…
This list is LOOOOONG so I’ll be doing it over several blog posts, btw.
+=This is a book I’ve already read that I was re-reading
*=Hated It (Usually if I hate something I don’t finish it. Life’s too short.)
**=Didn’t Like it (This usually means the book started off well then fell down OR it had some big deal-breaking plot element that ruined all the good things for me.)
***=I Liked It (I enjoyed my reading experience, probably won’t reread, though)
****=I REALLY Like It (Very much enjoyed, will re-read but falls short of inspiring my gasping, fan-girlish glee)
*****=I LOVED IT (This usually means I want to chase people down the street waving the book and screaming, “READ IT!”)
THE LIST PART TWO
21. Love Irresistibly by Julie James ***** (4/8/13)
23. Terminator 2 script by James Cameron **** (4/10/13)
24. +Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi **** (4/13/13)
25. Adventures in the Screen Trade by William Goldman ***** (4/16/16)
26. The Secrets Of Action Screenwriting by William Martell ***** (5/1/13) If you’re an aspiring action movie screenwriter I really recommend this book. Very useful.
27. Which Lie Did I Tell? by William Goldman ***** (4/3/13)
28. +Love Irresistibly by Julie James ***** (5/16/13) I told you I reread a lot, right? Usually more than a month goes by but I just…really liked this book.
29. +Again by Kathleen Gilles Seidel ***** (5/21/13) This is another of my favorite books of all time. So well written, and I LOVE actor heroes.
30. His Very Own Girl by Carrie Lofty *** (5/25/13) The beginning of this is awesome, but then it loses steam at the halfway mark.
31. Zombieland script by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick *** (5/28/13)
32. Crooked Hearts by Patricia Gaffney ** (5/29/13)
33. Good Will Hunting script by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon **** (5/30/13)
34. Dan O’Bannon’s Guide to Screenplay Structure by Dan O’Bannon and Matt O’Lohr
35. +The Grand Sophy by Georgette Heyer ***** (6/2/13) Probably my favorite Heyer book, and one of my favorite books of all time.
36. +Frederica by Georgette Heyer **** (6/20/13)
^June was a pretty shitty month. My cat almost died, so I wasn’t doing too much reading. 😦
37. +The Reluctant Widow by Georgette Heyer **** (6/24/13)
^Heyer is another of those beloved authors that once I dip into her backlist I pretty much end up cycling back through ALL THE BOOKS.
38. The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman **** (6/27/13) I went to one of his signings stops and heard him read aloud from this. I already thought the book was good, but listening to him read his own stuff just adds whole other levels of understanding and enjoyment.
39. +The Masqueraders by Georgette Heyer ***** (6/29/13) One of my life ambitions is to write my own breeches story, and when I do I am sure I will steal heavily from this book. ;P
40. Blood Red Butterfly by Josh Lanyon ** (7/1/13) Just kind of meh. Not up to Lanyon’s usual excellence.
41. Out of the Blue by Josh Lanyon *** (7/3/13)
42. +These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer ***** (7/10/13)
43. Inception script by Christopher Nolan ***** (7/18/13)
44. Poltergeist script by Steven Spielberg *** (7/19/13)
So for January through July 2013 I averaged about 4.5 days to read a book.
The rest of the list coming soon…
What about you guys? How many books have you read this year so far? How long does it take you to read a book? Have you read any of the stuff on the list? What did you think?